There is a limited amount of information published on place branding in general, and most of the information published on Brand America focuses on public relations and not foreign direct investment. Below are some recommended resources to consider for additional background.
- Simon Anholt Articles and Papers This is a small selection of some of the most recent articles, interviews and academic papers written by Simon Anholt.
- Brandopia World’s first weblog dedicated exclusively to destination branding issues – from restaurants to resorts to regions – with a few cities, counties and countries also being featured.
- Nation Branding and Place Marketing Provides an overview of creating a marketing program for nation branding and place marketing.
- International Trade Administration This website will help keep you informed about foreign direct investment from the federal government perspective. The Invest in America team also has a Facebook page to share feedback and insight.
- The Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands Index This website provides perspective on the global perception of United States. Learn more about this index by clicking on this link to Wikipedia.
- 2008 Anholt Nation Brand Index This study is a comprehensive system for measuring and managing national reputation around the world.
- Business for Diplomatic Action: Building New Bridges to the World This is a good website to keep up on the salient news regarding the perception of and discussion about Brand America.
- U.S. Department of Commerce: Bureau of Economic Analysis This website is a good resource for statistics on Brand America.
- Country Brand Index 2013 Good resource for information on Brand America and the Country Brand Index.
- East West Nation Brand Perception Index Through this study, countries will have the tools needed to achieve and project the optimal positioning through scientifically-based branding and communications.
- Success Factors of Place Marketing This paper explores what works in place marketing and provides examples from around the world.
Magazines & Journals
- Foreign Direct Investment Magazine This magazine will help keep you informed on foreign direct investment from a global perspective.
- Place Branding and Public Diplomacy Journal This journal will keep you posted on best practices from around the world and academic research on the topic of place branding.
- Brand America: The Mother of All Brands
- Rebuilding Brand America: What We Must Do to Restore Our Reputation and Safeguard the Future of American Business Abroad
- Destination Branding for Small Cities
- Destination Branding, Second Edition: Creating the Unique Destination Proposition
- Marketing Places
- The World Is Flat 3.0: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century
- Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution–and How It Can Renew America
- Planning To Win Your Community’s Journey For The American Dream article in KMK Consulting Newsletter
- Effective Economic Development is About the Heart by Ed Burghard
- Economic Development - article in LEADERS Magazine on the challenges faced by U.S. economic development professionals
- The Need For a Competitive Edge in Today’s Economy - article on the value of FDI and role of foreign trade zones published in Site Selection Magazine November 2009.
- NEW Brand America Interview with Ed Burghard that appeared in LEADERS Magazine.
- Building Mastery in Place Branding Interview appeared in LEADERS Magazine and describes how branding principles applied in the private sector can be reapplied successfully in place branding.
- Place Branding Article appeared in LEADERS Magazine and is an excellent resource for information on Place Branding and its importance.
- Place Branding Interview with Ed Burghard that appeared in LEADERS Magazine regarding the concept of place branding.
- 2013 Business Courier Article Interview with Ed Burghard discussing the purpose of the Strengthening Brand America Project.
- Prime the Foreign-Investment Pump: Americans have always assumed the world will want to invest here, but foreign investment is plummeting
- How Europe can be the next Superpower
- Country Branding, the potential promise and the pitfalls
- fDi Intelligence Special Report 2009
- OCO A New Investment Paradigm 2009
- IBM Global Location Trends Annual Report 2009 (PDF)
- fDi Intelligence Special Report 2008
- IBM Global Location Trends Annual Report 2008 (PDF)
- The American Dream Redefined
- US Reforms Promote Openness - article by Ron Starner
- Rebuilding Brand America - article by Derrick Daye
- Rebuilding Brand America - article by Dick Martin
- Rebuilding Brand America (Webcast)
- Rebuilding America’s Economic Power – Executive Overview
- State Branding in the 21st Century
- Branding Kentucky: Case Study
- Branding Bangladesh
- Branding and Promotion Publications Available From the Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau Library
- Successful Place Branding
- JBM New Imperatives for Global Branding
- Brand Versus Concept in Area Development
- Brandtown, Anywhere – Destination Distinction or Brand Disarray
- Place Branding: New Tools for Economic Development
- The Branding of Cities