The more I learn about foreign direct investment, the more convinced I am we need to do an even better job as place marketers to effectively compete for a greater global share. Strong FDI inflow can help a location stimulate job growth and economic vitality.
Positive Impact of Productivity
- In 2007, foreign affiliates reinvested $64B of their profits back into the economy.
- In 2006, foreign affiliates spent $34B on R&D and $160B on plants and equipment.
- Foreign affiliates employ roughly 5 million workers.
- Between 2003 and 2007 foreign affiliates announced over 3,300 new projects delivering $184B in investment and 447,000 new jobs.
- On average, foreign affiliates pay +25% higher wages and salaries than the U.S. average.
- In 2006, roughly $195B in exports were generated by subsidiaries of foreign companies.
These are the kind of statistics that make increasing share of foreign direct investment inflow an important objective for your place marketing plan.
What are you finding helpful in attracting, retaining or expanding your location’s inflow of foreign direct investment? Share your experience or questions with the community so we can teach each other how to be even more effective in attracting foreign direct investment to the United States.