Everybody is trying to figure out how to leverage social media to help supplement their traditional economic development efforts. Any why not? I read a great Forbes Insights publication entitled “The Rise of the Digital C-Suite” that suggests electronic media is quickly becoming an important communication channel to reach capital investment decision makers. The key to using electronic media effectively will be to understand how your target audience engages with it. What channels he/she uses and what kind of information is being sought. Once you have that insight, then you can create an effective electronic communication plan.
There is a lot of excellent information presented in the Report, but here are a few of the conclusions that made me stop and think. Hopefully they will do the same for you.
- A generational shift is occurring in the C-suite. “Generation PC” is beginning to assume leadership positions in corporate America.
- The internet is the C-suite’s top information resource.
- Members of the C-suite search for information themselves versus delegating research to others in their organization.
- Video and online networks are emerging as C-suite tools.
- C-suite executives in the Forbes survey indicated they find the internet more valuable than any other information resource (more important even than either personal networks and outside consultants).
- Search is the #1 activity of C-suite executives when they are online. The prompt to search is often from traditional media suggesting an interesting synergy opportunity for economic development professionals to consider when making communication mix decisions.
Twitter seems to be a tool that is best targeted to younger C-suite executives. In the Forbes survey, more than half of the executives under 40 said they use Twitter.
If this audience is a key prime prospect target group for your economic development promotion efforts, I think you will appreciate the following link to a great slide presentation on how to get the best communication value from Twitter. I found it entertaining and educational. I hope you do as well. A member of our Strengthening Brand America community shared it with me and I am now paying it forward with you.
Let me know what you think about the slide presentation and please share a tip or two from your experience in using Twitter for economic development by leaving a comment.
Ways To Participate In Strengthening Brand America
Free Publications From Strengthening Brand America