Despite the most significant economic crisis since the Great Depression, created in large part by a shortfall in liquidity of the U.S. banking industry, the World has again rated America as the most admired country. The fact that the World isn’t holding a grudge is a very positive sign Brand America’s image is regaining global strength.
For perspective, in 2009, when America moved from #7 to #1 In the Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands Index report, the accomplishment was lauded as an unprecedented ranking improvement. However, in 2010, it is important to recognize that, despite the repeat performance, America continues to face some critical challenges. America scored lower marks in questions like “behaves responsibly in world peace and security” and “behaves responsibly in protecting the environment”.
I’d like to share a few more just to make certain we do not become complacent and assume we can rest on our collective laurels.
- A world-class infrastructure helped build the economy of America – http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/speeches/2001/20010803/default.htm
- But, the infrastructure in America needs attention – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-worth/americas-challenges-a-cru_b_732650.html
- Diversity is clearly a strength of America – http://www.scottlondon.com/articles/newface.html
- But, valuing diversity appears to be a journey – http://www.america.gov/st/peopleplace-english/2009/August/20090818150449xjsnommis0.9106562.html
- America was founded by immigrants – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States
- But, continues to struggle with managing immigration – http://www.pewtrusts.org/news_room_detail.aspx?id=23778
There is no doubt the promise of Brand America continues to be relevant globally. But, as I’ve noted in prior posts, we need to be ever vigilant to ensure the promise remains authentic. We can each help by focusing on ensuring the effective delivery of our local community and state promises. In aggregate, this will result in a strengthened Brand America and a continued #1 performance rating from the World.