What You Need To Do To Stand Out From a Crowd
“Never be afraid to stand out. It’s better to be remembered for standing out in a crowd than to be forgotten for blending in.“
How To Stand Out From The Crowd
In every career, the challenge is in figuring out how to make a noticeable, lasting and meaningful mark. As humans, we all want to make a difference. But, making a noticeable mark in a matrixed world is a real challenge. It is hard to stand out from the crowd when everything worth doing seems to be accomplished through a team structure or collaboration of some sort. And it is even worse when political drivers subsume credit for your work
When I was managing marketers at P&G, one of the challenges I gave every new member of my team was to create a 30-day plan that defined the meaningful difference they planned to make. I felt it would not only get them off to a quick start, but it would force them to emotionally commit to building the brand.
In addition, I shared a list of 10 ways they could stand out from the crowd in a positive way. This list was compiled from advice I received and had served me well throughout my career.
Since the need to succeed is a universal one, I thought you might enjoy reading the list. I adjusted it to be relevant for the economic development profession. But, the counsel is applicable in all professions. Hopefully, one or two in the list might strike you as useful ideas.
10 Things You Can Do To Stand Out From The Crowd
Have a VISION for your Organization
- What will be your legacy?
- What will your community stand for in the eyes of residents and business leaders?
- What are your strategies to deliver the vision?
- How will you build on your predecessors?
- Make it happen!
Lead your Organization to deliver “EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS”
- Produce all time RECORD results – WIN!
- Turnaround a major community challenge
- Leave the community in better shape than when you started
Be the expert on your business – know the 4Cs
COMMUNITY, CUSTOMER, COMPETITION, CAPABILITIES
- Knowledge is power – data, facts, experience, knowing the history…all will help you drive your objectives
- Live your community
- Know your target industries
- Win vs. your competitors…and your community wins!
Have PASSION – Fight for what you believe in
- Have a strong p.o.v. on what it really takes to build your community
- Invite constructive criticism – take on builds – make plans even better
- Make a few waves – don’t be afraid, even to say NO!
- Cut the politics – YOU are the voice from the trenches
Have exceptional COLLABORATION skills
- Influence, influence, influence
- Proactively use colleagues to improve plans
- Seek out the experts – listen & learn, create networks
- Good leaders know when to follow
MAKE THINGS HAPPEN – Brilliantly!
- Execution is strategic!
- Execution is all your residents see- they don’t see your strategy
- Execution is a critical source of competitive advantage
- Pay attention to detail / get your hands dirty
Be an Exceptional “COACH”
- Grow the people you work with – they will want you as their Mentor
- Make every meeting a coaching meeting, make every day a coaching day
- Care about other people’s aspirations
- Replace underperformers on your teams
Keep it SIMPLE!!!
- Don’t over-intellectualize – does your Mom get it?
- What’s the 30-second elevator speech?
- Be the voice of reality – you know when it’s getting out of hand
Create a FUN working Environment
- People want to work for “Winners” who create a fun working environment
- Celebrate success
- Share the praise, don’t take all the credit
LEARN, LEARN, LEARN …
- Don’t be complacent with where you are now in your career. You have so many more challenging experiences ahead of you. Remember, it is a journey.
- Go outside your Organization for new ideas/concepts
– ADJUST AND REAPPLY, YOU DON’T NEED TO INVENT EVERYTHING
- Invest in forming long-term personal alliances/friendships
- Never stop learning
If you have an interest in self-branding as a strategy for personal success, you might enjoy visiting the SELF BRANDING section of this website. You will find a number of additional resources and perspectives on the topic.
Also, if you have any tips to share on how to stand out from the crowd (or even the perils of standing out), please share.
Leave a comment with your thoughts.
Read About My Journey To Learn More About The American Dream
American Dream Case Study Series
How Easy Is It To Achieve The American Dream In Your State?
To view the complete set of State rankings based on the ADCI and five explanatory sub-indexes, simply click this button
3 Comments | Forward this to a friend | Number of emails sent: 545
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.