The Odds of Hitting Your Target Go Up Dramatically If You Aim At It
Have you ever tried to define “Where to Play” for your community? If you have, you know it is often a real challenge. The answer is typically defined based on industries (NAICs). To help you make the best “Where to Play” choices, I am sharing a set of questions to should seek answers to.
INDUSTRY DEFINITION APPROACH
||INDUSTRY DEEP DIVE REPORT
- What are the key parameters of the industry?
- Who is winning and who is losing?
- What factors are driving the industry?
- What factors are constraining the industry?
- What are the development activities of note in the industry?
- What do the experts say about the industry?
- What key challenges and opportunities remain?
|Understand the underlying market structure
- How is the industry structured globally?
- What are the growing sub-industries and why?
- What are the declining sub-industries and why?
- Which countries are making the best progress and why?
- Which companies are making the best progress and why?
|Understand your current competition
- Which communities are making progress and with whom?
- What are the strengths of the top communities in this industry?
|Understand what companies in the industry are looking for
- How are capital investment decisions made in this industry?
- What are the key decision criteria for capital investors in this industry?
|Understand how your community stacks up against the competition for capital investment in this industry
- What are the points of difference (+/-) your community brings to the table versus real competition?
- What are the pros/cons of your community for attracting capital investment in this industry?
|Understand what deals may be on the horizon
- Which companies in this industry may be looking at making a meaningful capital investment and why?
- Who are the likely decision makers?
- What are the key decision criteria?
- What is the likely “size of prize”?
|Understand where the industry is going and where the future opportunities will come from
- What is the mid and long-range forecast for this industry?
- What are the emerging trends that add either attractiveness or risk?
- What are the barriers to out sourcing?
- Which communities have the best chance of competing for capital investment in this industry and why?